“Limited space creates unlimited creativity.”
It can definitely be a challenge to utilize a small space. You don’t want to make the space feel too cramped or cluttered. A small balcony is the perfect place to pack a big punch in a confined space.
Balconies are the perfect place to congregate in the fall with your loved ones to reminisce on good times and huddle around a fire together. You can easily set up a cozy retreat that fits your personality and your lifestyle. You can make the most of your small balcony.
Let’s begin by looking at our small balcony unfurnished.
Let’s start from the ground up with the wooden planks. The worn wooden floor of our small balcony adds a bit of rustic charm to the open-air space. This helps aid the overall atmosphere Kalidy Homes is famous for.
Wood has always been a popular flooring choice for balconies. Floor panels are inexpensive and make the space appear larger than it actually is. We have uncontrollable weather here in Oklahoma so it’s vital that you make sure that you waterproof and seal the wood. Be sure to look into getting a great wood protector that gets the job done.
***BONUS: Here’s a great list of wood protectors that work wonders to protect your wood floors for years to come.
We’ll also be focusing on the sliding screen door. Sliding screen doors are a very popular way to streamline a space and make it more functional. They take up less space and provide no fear of bumping into anyone when opening a regular door. Not only do sliding glass doors add natural lighting into your home, they also provide you an outside view.
You never want to treat your balcony like a storage space.
Luckily with this particular balcony you have just the right amount of space to work with. It’s not too small to the point where you would treat it as storage and it’s not large enough to where you just don’t know what to do with all that space.
Now let’s look at our small balcony with furniture added into it.
We’ve definitely made a lot of changes to the space to make it more practical for use. It’s all about arrangement and wise design choices when utilizing the space in a small balcony. We added in unique modern elements to make the space warmer and inviting.
How can I get this beautiful look for MY balcony?
These are some of our tips for taking advantage of a confined balcony space:
- Fairy lights have always been popular because they can illuminate any space into a magical hideaway at night. They provide a calm, relaxing ambience to help you and your guests “enjoy the little things.”
- We added in a large rug to protect the wood planks and add a bit of dimension to the space. Rugs can help make your balcony appear roomier and create the illusion of a bigger space. There are plenty of alternatives here you can use if you want to do something different from a traditional rug.
- The key to creating an amazing and refreshing balcony is incorporating plant life. Your balcony will radiate natural beauty that reinforces the wonder of spending time in nature. The plants that we added in bring a sense of color and depth to the space. Incorporating plants into your balcony design brings a fresh look to this limited space.
- Comfortable seating is key. The right furniture makes an ordinary balcony an oasis. You want to be able to truly sit back and relax after a long day! The gray couch is a very neutral piece among very natural elements such as the wood pallet fire pit, knotted curtain on the sliding door, and the candles on the table. We also added in a heater to keep yourself toasty during those chilly autumn nights.
- Create a sense of community with a cool fire pit. Fire pits don’t take up a lot of space and can be featured almost anywhere in unlimited shapes and sizes. You can very easily build your very own fire pit here or purchase one online.
What are your tips and tricks for utilizing a small space to your advantage?
With our easy DIY tips, anybody can make the most of their small balcony space. The entertainment you hope to provide for your guests and the relaxation you’ll get after a long day can be yours! It’s important to maintain a consistent theme and not to think too much about what you’re going to incorporate into your design.
Tell us what YOU THINK! We’d love to hear from you!
Last modified: November 10, 2017